Special Note: 2017-2018 MHC STUDENTS – Your coverage under The Campus Trust runs until August 31, 2018. To be considered an eligible expense, claims must be submitted within 6 months from the date the expense was incurred or the date coverage terminated using the date of service or the date supplies were purchased.
The students of MHC decided by referendum that all full time students were to be covered by extended health and dental insurance while studying at MHC. With the mandate, the Students Association of MHC has worked diligently to provide access to a comprehensive benefit plan while keeping the rates reasonable to ensure affordability for all students. If a student is already covered by another extended health and dental plan, the student has the option to keep the MHC coverage to enhance their existing plan or to “opt-out” of the MHC student plan. Opting out MUST be completed prior to the “Opt-Out” deadline or the student must pay the fee. For more details, please see below, visit https://studentbenefits.ca/landingpage?s=76&language=en or drop into the Students’ Associations’ office at F113 by Crave.
An “eligible” student is defined as:
- are a member of the Students’ Association of MHC; and
- enrolled in a minimum of 9 credits at MHC; and
- under the age of 65; and
- are residing in Canada; and
- covered under a provincial health care plan or equivalent; and
- not enrolled in a Distance Learning program at MHC (Distance Learning students will receive a letter if they become eligible explaining how to enroll).
About Health & Dental Plans
If you are enrolled at MHC, and meet the eligibility requirements (see above), you are automatically enrolled into the health and dental plan. SAMHC health and dental plan offers students many benefits including, but not limited to, dental, vision, and prescription coverage.
Full coverage information can be found here: https://studentbenefits.ca/my-coverage
Extended Health Plan Fee:
- For students enrolling in September, the health plan fee is $215.00 for a full year of coverage (September 1st, 2017 to August 31st, 2018).
- For students enrolling in January, the health plan fee is $145.00 for 8 months of coverage (January 1st, 2018 to August 31st, 2018).
Dental Plan Fee:
- For students enrolling in September, the dental plan fee is $185.00 for a full year of coverage (September 1st, 2017 to August 31st, 2018).
- For students enrolling in January, the dental plan fee is $185.00 for 8 months of coverage (January 1st, 2018 to August 31st, 2018).
Combined Health & Dental Fee:
- For students enrolling in September, the combined plan total is $400.00 for a full year of coverage (September 1st, 2017 to August 31st, 2018).
- For students enrolling in January, the combined plan fee is $330.00 for 8 months of coverage (January 1st, 2018 to August 31st, 2018).
Adding Dependents & Spouse:
Any full time student on the student benefit plan may add their spouse (married, common-law or same sex relationships are accepted) or dependent children (under the age of 21 and solely dependent upon the support) to the plan, for an additional fee, before September 26, 2017 deadline. (For students enrolling in January, the deadline is January 23, 2018).
*All add-on fees below are in addition to your Extended Health or Dental fee.
Add-On Fee when adding Dependents and/or Spouse to your Extended Health Plan:
- For students enrolling in September, the fee to add your dependent children and/or spouse is $290.00
- For students enrolling in January, the fee to add your dependent children and/or spouse is $193.00
Add-On Fee when adding Dependents and/or Spouse to your Dental Plan:
- For students enrolling in September, the fee to add your dependent children and/or spouse is $277.00
- For students enrolling in January, the fee to add your dependent children and/or spouse is $277.00
Black out Period:
Please note there will be a short waiting period starting at the beginning of the September or January before your coverage becomes active. Please keep all receipts for eligible expenses to be submitted to the insurer for reimbursement once the waiting period is over. For more information on making an expense claim, please click here https://studentbenefits.ca/submit-claim-info
Opting out of Health and/or Dental Plan
Click Here to Opt-Out Online https://studentbenefits.ca/
- September Opt-Out Deadline: September 26, 2017 (Opens July 4, 2017)
- January Opt-Out Deadline: January 23, 2018 (Opens December 1, 2017)
In order to opt-out, you MUST fill out the online waiver and supply acceptable coverage information prior to deadline. Unfortunately, we are not able to make exceptions if you miss the deadline, so please make special note of the date if you plan on opting out. An example of acceptable coverage would be benefits received from employer or form a parent’s/ spouse’s employer, benefits card, Indian Status Card, etc. Please note that Provincial Health Care coverage is not considered comparable coverage. For more information on acceptable coverage, please visit our office in room F113 or call us at (403)529-3925.
Once your opt out is approved, your MHC Student Financial account will be credited. If you have already paid the fee prior to opting out, you will receive a credit on your account.
**If you have successfully opted out of coverage, you will receive an “APPROVED” confirmation email, be sure to keep your confirmation email. If you have not received an “APPROVED” confirmation email, you have NOT successfully opted out. Please contact SAMHC at (403)529-3925 before the opt out deadline if you are encountering problems opting out with the online waiver. **
Full-time International students (9 credits or more) are entitled to a health plan through the International Education department. Students are automatically enrolled in the program on a semester basis. The International Student Health plan is administered by Guard.me. For plan information, please visit www.guard.me